Yesterday, I wrote about how I have recently become a fan of false eyelashes. Today, I will describe how to put on and take off false lashes.
1. When you open the package containing the false lashes, remove the lashes from their mooring slowly so as not to damage them. (I wish the adhesive they used to keep the lashes in place in the package worked as well on the eyes.)
2. Some lashes are too long out of the box. Hold the lash against your eye and if it is too long, use sharp scissors to trim off the access from the end that will be on the outer side of your eye, that is, the end with the longer lashes.
3. Optionally, trim random lashes to make them look more natural and less perfect.
4. Squeeze a small glob of lash adhesive on the back of your hand or on a clean spot on your makeup table. Use a toothpick to pick up some glue and apply a thin coat along the band of the lash. Apply an extra dab at each end of the lash. (As hinted in step 1, I find that the adhesive on the pre-glued lashes is inadequate and I use glue even on the pre-glued lashes.) Set the lashes aside and let the adhesive to set for a minute.
5. Use tweezers to apply the false lash as close and as quickly as possible to the base of your natural lash line on top of your actual lashes. Do not apply the lash on your eyelid. (I use the tweezers that I use to pluck my eyebrows.) The white adhesive will be apparent initially, but it dries clear, so forget about it. Use your fingers to press on the lash from end-to-end and hold it in place as the glue dries.
6. After the glue has dried completely (no white is visible), fill in any gaps with eyeliner.
7. Apply mascara and you are done.
8. Some makeup mavens suggest using an eyelash curler to curl the false and natural lashes together, but I have not been brave enough to try that yet!
When you are finished wearing false lashes, do not rip them off because you may remove your natural lashes in the process. Instead…
1. Apply baby oil or makeup remover on the lashes to soften the glue and remove the lashes only after the glue is mush.
2. After taking off the lashes, use makeup remover to remove the glue and other makeup from your eyes and false lashes.
3. Rinse the false lashes with cool water and let them air dry.
4. When dry, put the lashes back in their original box.
And keep being pretty!